Sunday, July 8, 2012

Why I Must Be Anonymous Here

The most obvious reason is that I divulge personal information regarding my past and my medical records. Medical records are confidential. I would never divulge my medical records to anyone because people are very prejudiced against schizophrenics. I would hate to have the loving members of my family suffer because I started a blog. This blog is meant as a vehicle for understanding. By sharing my personality, my writing, and my experiences (some of which are painful), I hope to reach out to others. I believe that reading about my life can help you understand the struggles faced by the mentally ill, even if you yourself are not a person with a diagnosis.

Also, I like to remain anonymous so I can have some privacy, which is a right granted by the constitution. Because of some of my traits (mentally ill, bisexual, minority, overweight), this leaves me vulnerable to cyberbullies and bigots. I am not really looking for notoriety by blogging. I like to write. I like to communicate my life lessons to others. I am shy. So, I chose to blog anonymously.

Lastly, I am anonymous because I need to compartamentalize my life into little rooms that are separate. So, here I am Electra. In my student life, I am student ___. At home, I am daughter ____. I am also a poet, published only once, and there, I was another alias. Dividing myself up into different personas lets me protect one area of my life from another.

I got used to being anonymous when I was recovering from an episode of schizophrenia several years ago. I was in an art therapy class. The leader of the class asked me to sign my artwork so she could put it on the wall. I was paranoid, nervous, and ashamed to be a mental patient. So I signed it under an alias. Ever since then, I have been hiding behind artistic names. Well, many artists find the need to change their names, or write under a pseudonym.

Anyways, I just wanted to explain why I have to remain anonymous. It is not because I am a con artist. I am just too exposed and I have too much to lose.

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No spam or hate mail, please. Thanks for your interest!