Thursday, April 19, 2012

Schizo-affective: what do I do now that I am improved?

Now that there is a calm inside me rather than a storm of chaos, I do not know what to do with myself.

I am part of an online forum board for people with a mental illness. I won't say which website. I once requested resources relating to the dopamine theory of schizophrenia. I also mentioned the quirk within schizophrenic brains of a higher than normal rate of increased ventricle size. If you don't believe me, google "schizophrenia and ventricles." Just FYI, a ventricle is a little piece of the human brain. The response rather shocked me. Rather than getting resources I got a response that referred me to a diagnosis center (ironic, considering I AM schizo-affective, but NOT delusional when it comes to the biology of schizophrenia!) and the suggestion that I not listen to what is said on the internet.

What bugged me the most was that the responders clearly had never done any research on their own disease! Then I started thinking, how many others are out there who do not have the slightest clue as to the science behind their illness, or the illness of their family members? It is not very hard. A simple stop at the local library can get one started on understanding schizophrenia. If you have access to a University library there is often more detailed, academic resources available to research the illness than there is at the public library. I strongly encourage everyone, diagnosed or not, to learn. I know, for example, that the trembling associated with Parkinson's Disease is due to a lack of dopamine activity in the brain---and I am not afflicted with Parkinson's Disease, I just happened to get curious one day when I stumbled on the subject. Even if you do not have schizophrenia you can search for the topic on wikipedia and it will only take a minute to read the information there.

As for the website, I have stopped posting there. I feel a little out of place. I am not actively mentally ill. I have not been psychotic for the past 1.5-2 years. Now that I am well I find there is little place for me. I can interact fine with classmates and friends but they do not know I am schizophrenic. It almost seems moot to state I am a schizo-affective because I do not display any significant symptoms. 

I do not live off SSI or spend my days in my pajamas with nothing to do. It seems like a lot of fellow schizophrenics are giving up on the idea of living a normal life with work, family, and responsibilities. That seems like a shame. Maybe for some people, work can be too stressful, but for the majority I strongly believe reintegration is a possibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No spam or hate mail, please. Thanks for your interest!