Friday, October 26, 2012

Doing Well in Graduate School

I am getting good to excellent grades thus far. I have studied so much I barely have to time to fit in my exercise regiment of walking and using my stationary bike at least 3 times a week. It has paid off, though! I am doing good. I just need to keep up with my readings and work on my term papers. So far, I have had a positive experience in the graduate program.

I feel like I am doing something noble by continuing with my higher education. Not only am I a first-generation Mexican-American to finish a B.A. in my extended family, I am also a person who lives with a genetic mental illness. This makes me sort of a double minority in Academia. I try not to see this as a thing to feel bad about, but rather something that I can be proud of---I am paving new ground!

One of my heroes, Elyn R. Saks, a schizophrenic who completed her law degree at a prestigious University, was featured on "TED." If you have not heard of TED, it is a program that you can download to your cell phone or tablet. It is a database that is filled with geniuses talking on various subjects, from the law to the internet. It includes many leaders in various fields (i.e. techno-geniuses and others). Elyn R. Saks is video taped on TED giving a speech on her struggle with mental illness, her success as a lawyer and professor, and how this relates to our policies and views on people with a mental illness. I highly recommend this talk!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No spam or hate mail, please. Thanks for your interest!